The Cantata BWV 140 was written in 1731 and first performed in Leipzig on November 25 of that year - the performance was directed by Bach himself. In addition to three vocal soloists and chorus, the work is scored for two Oboes, English Horn, Bassoon, Horn, Violino Piccolo, Strings and Continuo.
The Cantata Wachet auf "Sleepers Awake", is based on a hymn by Philipp Nicolai, also written in 1731 for the 27th Sunday after Trinity.
Cantata for the 27th sunday after Trinity
- Edition no.: BA 10140-90
- ISMN: 9790006491247
- Composer / Author: Bach, Johann Sebastian
- Title: Wake ye maids! hark, strikes the hour BWV 140Cantata for the 27th sunday after Trinity
- Detailed instrumentation: Soprano solo, Tenor solo, Bass solo, Mixed choir (SATB), Horn, Oboe (2), Baroque oboe, Violin (2), Viola, Basso continuo (Violoncello, Double bass, Bassoon, Organ)
- Volume / Series: BÄRENREITER URTEXT
- Arranger: Dürr, Alfred
- Editor: Dürr, Alfred
- Product format: Vocal Score, Urtext edition
- Comments: Study score = TP 1140
- Language(s) of work: German, English
- Duration (approx.): 00:31:00