Puccini's first known sacred work was composed during his school days at the "Istituto Pacini" in Lucca. It was first performed there in 1877. The text was a hymn to the Patron Saint of Lucca which was probably written by the composer himself. The work was so popular that by 1880 it had received three further performances, though it was also inserted in the Messa a 4 voci, after the Credo. Thereafter it disappeared from the music world and was only first rediscovered in the 1990s. Since, with the exception of the lack of a solo tenor in the piece, it is identical with this one in the Messa, for this reason it would seem only natural to perform these two works together.
Instrumentation: Solo Bar, Coro SATB, Ottavino, 2 Fl, 2 Ob, 2 Clt, 2 Fg, 2 Cor, 2 Tr, 3 Trb, Tb, Perc, 2 Vl, Va, Vc, Cb. Duration: 15 min.